Friday, September 3, 2010

Moving to The States...


Just a few weeks and then I'll be moving to the States where my fiance lives.
I have a lot to plan and so much stuff to do. I was born and raised in Holland so I'll definitly miss it. I met my fiance last year..all went pretty fast, got engaged (officially) in March. We filed for a K1 (fiance visa) in Feb. and just got my K1 visa last week. The K1 visa is valid for six months so I have to travel within that time.
I've been packing pretty much all my personal belongings and I have to get a ticket still. I will surf the net for a cheap ticket, and for some strange reason round-way tickets are less expensive than one-way tickets!
I wonder what it will be like living in the States perminently. A few things that cought my attention when I visited:
The differences between the Netherlands and the US: You have to drive to pretty much every where you want to go in the United States, the architecture in the US is also very conservative (read: old fashion). When I visited my fiance in DC I brought a lot of money with me thinking I was going to shop like crazy...NOT, the only shop I found that was a little of my liking was Forever 21, it wasn't all that because I just bought two tops. Well I found a Christian Bookstore that had some books that I wanted to have that weren't available in stores in Holland so I bought me a lot of books instead. Another thing that cought my attention was that people are very polite in America, when you enter a store they greet you friendly, when someone bumps into you they apologise, they don't give you that crazy look that they give you overhere in Holland, and when entering a store overhere they follow you around thinking you would steal something.
I can go on and on about the differences between the two countries but I'll just quit it. Keep you posted.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment